Wednesday, September 23, 2015

What I'm Loving: The Chicken Express

Rex the Roo

Quick hello Wednesday!  I know I have been MIA lately and that's mostly because life has been a lot nuts.  

So here is what I'm loving and it's almost all about the chicks. 

Chickens:

First is our new Roo Rex.  Chickens are the closest living relative to the T-Rex so when we got our Roo last weekend it seemed only right to call him Rex.  He is the same age as our oldest ladies (which technically makes him a cockerel) and he, so far, had been a good rooster.  We have a friend that wants to maybe give us his Roo too so I think he may be named Tex. Why not? I hope they get along.  Roosters aren't exactly non-territorial and Rex took to our ladies right away. 

Our first egg ever! 

Speaking of my ladies, they have started laying eggs. At least some of them have. We are getting about 3 a day right now.  That's a good production since only 6 are about the right age to lay and young hens don't lay daily.  


Laurel, Logan, and Lesleigh

We got some new chicks too! The three above are White Leghorns.  We call the the triplets and decided to name them after my triplet nieces so meet Laurel, Logan, and Lesleigh.  Don't ask me who is who however because, unlike my nieces, I can't tell these trips apart.


The Triplets with the little babies

We also got 4 other babies who we haven't come up with names for...I am willing to take suggestions if anyone out there has some good chicken names. These are all hens so keeping that in mind, we already have the following:
Frizzy, Star, Snow White, Cinderella, Pocahontas, Katniss, Henrietta, Dumbledoor, Prim, Beltre, Lemon, Winnie, ah...ok that's all I can remember but there are 7 others!  I need to take pictures and write them down!  Lol 

So if you are keeping score at home, that is 26 Hens and 1 Roo. For those who are curious, yes when we get a broody hen we are going to let her have chicks.  We even set up an outdoor brooder for when this happens.  

I have to give a shout out to my sister in laws dad who not only gave us Rex but the idea for the outdoor brooder.  :) 

Now for what else I am loving: 

The pope's visit to the US.  He is a humble man and while I am not really on board with all the changes he has made in the Catholic Church, as a Catholic, I understand his reasons and support the changes.  (Although truth here, I still mumble the prayers because I had 42 years of the old-new mass.) 

South Park last week for making fun of all the PC craziness.  People are too dang sensitive and frankly, if you follow me, you should know that I am going to speak honestly and gosh darn it, I will wish you a Merry Christmas because I was taught manners and because I freaking love Christmas! If you don't and you are offended by it, that's your problem. 

Hubs and me at the Texas Rangers Red Out last week

The Texas Rangers!!!
They are 10 games from clinching the AL West!  I am so happy and excited for baseball and yes, I already have my post season tickets!  I can't wait to share post season baseball with the hubby. 

College Football:
I am loving the return of college football even if my Notre Dame Fighting Irish are a little LOT beat up and hurt and even if going into the season, I knew my Texas Longhorns were going to have a growth season.   Nothing is better than college football, except post season baseball! 

So that's it.   What are you loving?  Happy Hump Day folks! 



Popular Posts