Friday, July 25, 2014

Simple Pleasures: remember to love them





I don't think I ever posted this photo of my dog, Ries. I was cooking and dropped some flour. Ries has the habit of sitting under me wherever I am...she ended up covered in flour.

Life gets so complicated sometimes, too complicated, and I forget the simple things that make me the happiest. The other night while sitting on the patio discussing our wedding playlist the fiancé and I were struck by how much we love just being with each other and talking. This started me thinking about how much I complicate my life with things that don't matter...like my phone and social media and worrying about stuff I can't control.

So here is a list of some of the simple things I take for granted that make my life wonderful:

-watching my dogs play

-listening to the white wing dove sing




-Little girls who are excited to show you lizards that you have watched sun bathing for years in your yard but basically ignored.

-a fun night with good neighbors who know how to take your mind off your worries and make you laugh

-a call from an old friend who you haven't talked to in a long time but who you love like a sister and the minute you two get on the phone it's like the five years since you have seen each other has been five minutes. That's what real friendship is, no time, no distance, just years of love and bonds that can never be broken.

-a night on the couch watching a movie and doing mostly nothing. This hardly ever happens so when it does, I cherish it.

-clean sheets

-time alone without people coming over because right now, we don't have this.

-a crisp walk in the woods.

-the smell of autumn which honestly is probably my favorite season.

-apple cider

-a camp fire and stars

-sleeping in past 8 am because I never get to sleep in anymore, not even on the weekends.

-waking up somewhere on a lake. There is really nothing like waking up and walking outside and seeing and smelling the lake first thing in the morning. I have been fortunate enough to do it throughout my life. Water is completely my peace. I think better when it is near...which is funny considering I am a fire sign, if you believe in that stuff. (Which I don't, really). Which brings me to....

-birthdays!!!
Mine is coming up in about 10 days or so and I realized that for the first time I am not dreading it. For the first time I am not thinking "Another wasted year!" For the first time I am not looking back and worrying about all the things I didn't do. I am just happy and ready for whatever God has planned. Let's go!

So, what simple stuff do you love?




Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Popular Posts