Thursday, June 19, 2014

Morning Protein Shakes: How I learned to love mine




I have made a commitment to improve my health and lose weight which began last December, exactly 6 months ago today. One of the decisions I made recently was to add a protein shake to make sure I get between 60 and 90 grams a day of protein. I am incredibly successful in losing weight, staying full and just being healthy when I stick to this plan.

I know everyone loves smoothies, everyone but me. Because I was forced to live off of them for several weeks due to a surgery I had to have, I burned out quick. With that in mind I have had to find a way to love my morning protein, and I did.



This is my drink. I managed to trick myself into loving it by combining my protein shake with my love for coffee. I know, I know, I am cheating but it works for me! Instead of water I add the ice and the the coffee to the ice. Note, don't try to add the protein powder to hot liquid because it turns the protein nasty and gross! Now, for me, I go a step further and add some instant coffee to give me more coffee flavor and more caffeine, naturally. This has drastically cut down on my coffee intake. One morning I didn't drink any! As for protein powder I have used vanilla, chocolate and cookies and cream and they all worked well. The key for me is to use one that has at least 30g of protein. It takes me at least 2 hours to drink this so I am not downing it. It's a process.


I have been eating this way consistently for about 2 weeks and I am not tired of the drink yet. That's huge for me! Sometimes I even make a second one for lunch instead of grilled chicken.

Oh, and yes I am losing weight...but that is another blog and it is coming. I promise!


Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Popular Posts