Thursday, June 6, 2013

Standing inside the fire: Baseball, Freedom, and D-Day




I woke up this morning and remembered it is June 6.  It is one of the most important days in the history of freedom.   Today is D-Day.  

Blame my history teacher father for passing on his love of history when I was a little girl.  I can't help it.  I went on a three minute rant on twitter this morning about how amazing the old ballparks are and how we should not take them for granted.   I was upset because of the comments and criticism I have seen all season about Wrigley Field and Fenway Park.  They are not perfect ballparks and that is why they must be maintained.  There is no perfect ballpark.  In the 60's and 70's they built these horrible multi-purpose baseball/football stadiums and if you ever had the misfortune of watching a game in them, as I did, you knew that it was terrible.  I have been to Wrigley and there is nothing like it.   The tradition of baseball is built on a wide variety of statistics, players, and ballparks.  Baseball has a history and that history includes all the unique subtleties that include funny ballparks and players who are couragous and characters.  That's why I love baseball.  Baseball is a part of America and in so many ways, ways that make is different, it reflects our history.

This blog isn't about baseball, it is about freedom.  We have the freedom to disagree on things.  We obtained that freedom on the backs of our ancestors and the people who still fight today.   I am a lucky because I never had to serve in the military.  I just enjoy what others have fought so hard to maintain.  My grandfather was in the army.  T was in the air force.  In between them there were others.  Others who fought.  Others who sacrificed.  Others who died.  On days like today.  Days that shaped our lives before we were born, I can't help but be grateful.  When I go out to the trail and ride or out to the ballpark and cheer I carry with me the right to be free.  Freedom to be who I want.  Freedom to worship how I decide.  Freedom to cheer who I want.  Freedom to live the way I do.  Yes, there are rules of society but in the end, the things I believe, the person I am is shaped in part by those who came before and in part by decisions I made and I live with gratitude for the past and hope for the future.

Thank you, to all those who earned my freedom for me.  Thank you, for everything you sacraficed. Oh, and thank you for baseball!


And the photo challenge.


Photo Challenge: Day 5: favorite color:

I love green. It just makes me happy. I guess it's a good thing the earth is covered in green. Actually, I may have let it slip yesterday but Green, Blue, and Yellow are my favorite colors.





These three colors show up a lot in nature and my wardrobe.






Day 6: where I stand:


-This is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been and it is near my house.  I can go there riding everyday if I want.


.


Simply,
Laura
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Popular Posts