Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge: Mothers Day Style



Alright, let me just say that I have had a couple of weeks from, well you know where.  I am dealing with just a whole lot of whole lot and my brain is on empty.  I couldn't face another Wednesday of love or pinning or a day of everything being okay because, really, I don't love anything, my pins are depressing, and nothing is exactly okay right now.    So, I went blog hop, hopping and found just what I needed!  There is this lovely blog called From This Side of the Pond and they do an random Question Wednesday.  I love this because I hardly have to think.  So, without further ado, here we go!



1. What's a phrase your mother often said to you? If you're a parent, is this something you now say to your own children?  
I can't remember my mother ever really saying anything specific.  My grandparents were Hungarian so they often spoke Hungarian when they were mad.   Occasionally, I will pull out a phrase or two, my favorite sounds something like 'Poof nucks a lutz' but do not ask me what it means or how it is spelled.  I tried to look it up and all I got was something about the Amityville Horror.  Moving on.  I think it means something akin to "Why I oughta". 

2. What is a scent you associate with your mother or your childhood home?
Hot dogs or maybe cotton candy. We went to amusement parks and ballgames.  What can I say?    I have way more smell memories associated with my grandmother for some reason.  She was always cooking, baking, or in the kitchen hand washing her dishes. I can still smell her sheets and feel her towels which she always line dried in the summer.  Not a bad thing for the sheets and not a good thing for the towels.  :) 
 Mom was more of a single, modern, too busy for life sometimes mom.  She didn't bake a lot even though she taught me how to cook.  Special holidays and that kind of thing.  Besides, she always had me on a diet.  I can't look at tuna without thinking of my mother and all the Adkins tuna in vinegar she sent to school with me as a kid.  I do love tuna, believe it or not.  

3. What's an activity you remember always doing with your mother (or someone who was a mother figure in your life)?
Baseball.  Mom and I have always gone to baseball games together until the last 2 years.  She got busy with her grandkids and I got married and now we don't really hang out anymore. 

4. Flared jeans, maxi dresses, and jumpsuits are 70's fashion trends back this spring. Are you on board? Which trend would you be most inclined to try? For the men...flared corduroys, wide-collared shirts, and floral prints...what say you?
Oh, no, no, no!  I was a little kid in the 70's and I am ready for the 80's to come back.  I have been saving my acid washed denim for the return!   Okay, if I have to pick on, I like Maxi Dresses and that is ALL I like. 

5. May 6th is Teacher Appreciation Day and also Nurse Appreciation Day. Is there a nurse or teacher you have especially appreciated along the way? Tell us why?
I had an incredible teacher in High School, Ms. Butler.  She was my Honors and AP History teacher and I loved her because she loved history the way I love history and she made it fun.  She had an amazing gift for getting kids excited about things that happened 500 years ago, and really, why wouldn't you be excited about something old? 

6. If I came by your house, what would I find on your frig door?
Bottled water, salad dressing, Ketchup, a bottle of wine, and some orange juice.  

7. Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana made her royal entrance on Saturday, May 2nd. On a scale of 1-10, how much attention did you give to all the news coverage? 1=Who's Charlotte? 10=sat glued to the telly, cuppa in hand.
On a scale of 1-10 I would go with a 7.  I was kind of monitoring in the background to see if Kate had the baby yet and to be honest with you I was A. Thrilled it is a little girl and B. So excited they managed to get Diana in there somehow.   I was rooting for both.    Okay, so they had to throw Elizabeth in to appease the queen, I get it, but Diana, to me, was a must.   I admit, that I loved her and as an American, don't think the Royal Family is half as interesting or half as fun without her.  


This is where I get to insert my own random thought and this can be kind of scary given my reality right now...so let me stick to something safe because if I said what was on my mind, that would take a whole blog and it is a blog I don't want to write. 

8. When you get sick, do you still call your mom before you call your husband or significant other?  
I swear I would prefer my mom taking care of me to anyone.  I remember when I got sick with the chicken pox at my grandparents house and my grandmother was taking care of me because, I think mom had the chicken pox and was stuck at our house alone. .  I was crying and saying "I want my mommy."  My grandma, feeling terrible for me but worse for my mother said to me "I am your mommy's mom and I am going to take care of you right now and let me tell you your mother would love to have me taking care of her."  Well, I don't know about that.  My grandmother gave some of the meanest oatmeal baths in the history of ever.   Anyway, to this day, when I get really sick, and it is only when I am running a fever,  I want my mommy. 



No comments:

Popular Posts