Tuesday, May 19, 2015

What I'm Loving and Have a Pinteresting Wed: The one with the Chicks



It't Time for What I'm Loving and Have a Pinteresting Wednesday!   The Blog Hop where you get to share all the things you love and pinned this week.   Grab the button if you are so inclined and join in the fun!

What I'm Loving 

This week I am sharing our chicken coop love.   Now keep in mind that while the basic building is finished there are a few little details I haven't worked on yet. Specifically, the Best Little Hen House in Texas sign for the coop and the Welcome to the Chicken Ranch sign for the gate.  The chickens don't care but I have to trick it out a little.




Partially made, my varagesale saw horses put to good use

In the beginning there was wood and my husband saw that most of the wood was free (reclaimed pallets) and he said 'this is good...for a chicken coop.'  So he began building a frame and used the basic design of his deer stands from our land in East Texas.   

I can't take credit for the building.  My chief job was holding stuff while he cut and screwed things together.  I played the role of wood shop apprentice.  

Ready for customization

When we move the pieces to the chicken area and assembled it, my part started. First up is chicken coop color design.  For this I turned to "The Kid" who said "green is dad's and your favorite and pink is mine." Hard to argue with logic like that!   So I bought the paint and waited...because God had foreseen to replenish the drought ridden lakes, all in two months.  

Legs and painting begin 

I took the opportunity of a dry day to  paint the body.  I added a little flair to the green by throwing in some blue.  If this thing is going to look like an Easter Egg we may as well go all out.  And then...I waited for another dry day.   

Pink and Green, the kiddo picked
And God saw that the chicken coop needed to be done so the chicks could move in so he created a sunny day and I painted the trim pink.   (Last night we added a shingle roof and by we, I mean hubs, but I didn't get a picture because I was busy taking chicken video.) 
The chicks in their new home

Chicken love 


This is their first day out of the coop.  They were in heaven.




These are the 7 babies we got last week that aren't yet ready for the big chick coop.  Yes, we now have 23 chicks.  I can't wait for eggs!   I swear I had no idea how funny chickens were or how lovable.  There is a chance that some of the littlest ones are roosters since the Silkies only come in straight runs.   (That means you get what you get) as opposed to pullets (hens) 


Have a Pinteresting Wednesday:
Train your chickens to come when called, so you can let them out and get them in anytime you want. Also enables you to call them to safety when predators lurk. If you have multiple flocks, you can train each to come to a different call. Very helpful when you have new pullets free ranging with old flock, and need to get each flock to its own coop.
source
To keep with the chicken themed blog, I am sharing some of my Chickens folder in Pinterest, not to be confused with my CHICKEN folder which has recipes,   Don't tell my girls though, they are eggers not dinner.

Organic, free-range, homegrown chickens and their eggs can be expensive! But here's 5 tips to help keep costs down
source

Raising Chickens : Keeping Chickens in your Backyard: Henopause cartoon by Dan Reynolds
source


5 Favorite Printables including this Wicked Chickens make Deviled Eggs Printable for your kitchen!
source



Backyard Chickens DIY Sign - Redeem Your Ground | RYGblog.com
source
Love this sign.  I want to call it the Chicken Ranch because well, we are in Texas and because I also want to do a sign The Best Little Hen House in Texas...get it? Chicken Ranch?

CRAZY CHICKEN LADY PARKING!  Can I get a hang tag for this?!!!
Source
After this blog, I totally need this sign! 

Okay so what are you loving and pinning this week?



6 comments:

Samantha said...

I'm loving that my husband gets a break from work this week! Whoo hoo. Finally! It's Memorial Day holiday!
And what I'm pinning...uh....recipes...and Marvel stuff. Nothing to exciting. Of course, pugs! Lol. Man I'm basic.

Laura @Simply Me, The way I see it said...

Lol! I'm sure he will love it!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes said...

It's so great that you have chickens. I would love to go to my garden and pick fresh eggs every morning.

Kelly L McKenzie said...

Hi. Toddling over from Inspired Blogging. Love your chicken coop! Great colors. And the chicken photos. Sadly I couldn't get either video to work on my phone - just an alert that this video is private. Looking forward to hearing how many roosters are in the bunch!

Laura @Simply Me, The way I see it said...

Oh that was silly! I fixed the videos. Roosters...I am hoping for one only. We can keep him. :-)

Laura @Simply Me, The way I see it said...

Thanks Jemma! That's what I can't wait to do. We wanted 8 and somehow I ended up with 23 so I think we are going to have a lot of eggs. Really going t need an eggs for sal sign!

Popular Posts