Wednesday, May 13, 2015

What I'm Loving and Have a Pinteresting Wednesday

Copy  the button and join in the fun! 
I am going to try again to do this blog-hop on Wednesdays and see if anyone is interested in joining.  Even if you aren't I am going do it just because. :)  So, copy and past the button above if you want to join me or mark it down and join me next week.  

I have so many fun things to show you from my time in our yard Tuesday that I just have to do a WILW post!  


What I'm loving: 


8 months ago today!
I married my best friend 8 months ago today and I can honestly say, it has been the best 8 months of my life.  Waking up with the person who may not always understand who you but loves  you anyway, is the best.  I am not going to be one of those bloggers who pretend everything is perfect because nobody has the perfect marriage but we are happy and we are a team.   Also, because I didn't marry until I was 44 I have decided 8 months with me is probably like 5 years with a normal woman.  I had to learn how to be married and share not only the responsibility I had all alone for the last 26 years, but also learn how to not have my way all the time.  That was hard for me.



The message my aunt sent me last night.  It was so sweet and I really appreciated and loved talking with her. 




My puppies this morning were so sleepy! 

The day we brought them home
Remember our chicks, above is what they looked like the day we got them.

Today
And the same chicks look like this today.  Yes, that is one of the little yellow peep chicks sitting on the perch.  They have feathers and they eat, sleep, and poop 24 hours a day!  It is amazing watching them grow.  They are just so big!


On the ride home

This morning

We also picked up 4 more last week and we are getting a couple more this week.  We are going to have 18-20 chicks when all is said and done and our neighbor is giving us a rooster.  :-)  We got the above chicks because all the ones we have already lay brown or beige eggs and I wanted some that lay blue or green eggs.  We moved a couple of the older chicks into this box but 4 of these chicks will lay blue or green eggs.  I had no idea there were so many colors of eggs before we started our "Chicken Ranch"

There's a yellow rose in Texas
I planted two yellow rose bushes.  It's Texas! We must have yellow roses.

Turnips

Our garden is yielding some wonderful stuff already.
Onions and Cayenne
Turnips, onions, and cayenne peppers!   (We picked the Cayenne green because our Jalapenos aren't ready yet but you can let it hang until it is red, it gets a little sweeter then.)

Blue Bird Eggs
And spring is definitely a time for renewal because even the birds are getting busy in our yard.  Okay so that's our bird house.

This is going to be pink and green because that's what the kid wants. 
And THIS is my current DIY project.  My hubby made a chicken house and I painted it white very quickly before the rain storms of the last week.  Well, you know I am not stopping at boring white.  Just wait until I get my hands on paint!  See some of my inspirations from Pinterest.

What I'm pinning: 

Source

 Inspiration for my chicken coop.  

Brown eggs laid by Marans & Welsummers, olive green eggs laid by Olive Eggers, and light blue eggs laid by Araucana hens.
source
So I thought, since I brought it up above, I would share with you egg colors.  Did you have any idea? These all come from chickens.
Check out this item in my Etsy shop https://www.etsy.com/listing/208193037/made-to-order-the-chick-inn-chicken-coop
source
I am going to make a Chick-Inn sign for our coop.  I know it is silly but I love it.  I know it is a chicken coop and not a house but I want it to be cute.   

LOL!  You would think chickens rule my life, it isn't true they just rule my blog lately.   

So what am I going to do with all the turnips you may ask...
Turnips Instead of Potatoes! Same fiber, lower carbs. One cup of raw cubed white potatoes gives you around 22 grams of carbs and two grams of fiber. One cup of raw cubed turnip gives you only six grams of carbs and two grams of fiber. So, if you’re going for the lower-carb option, turnips are definitely your best bet.
source
Turnip mash!  Actually, wherever you use potatoes you can use turnips.  I am still learning and believe me I have an entire Pinterest board devoted to this!


Okay, that's my What I am loving and Have a Pinteresting Wednesday.   So, what do you love and pin?






6 comments:

Samantha said...

Your cake was so cute!! We both were 38 when we got married. I didn't grow up until like 30...or so..lol...so it was for the best!

Laura @Simply Me, The way I see it said...

Aw thanks! The cake was a split between my love of baseball and his of hunting.
So you totally get my older wife issues and why grow up before 30? I mean men typically don't so we shouldn't either! LOL

AiringMyLaundry said...

That cake is so awesome!

My kids would LOVE a chicken coop.

Laura @Simply Me, The way I see it said...

LOL! My step-daughter wants her dad to build her one now too only without all the chicken wire bottoms. Funny thing, my grandparents had 3 chicken houses, actual full big buildings for chickens and one was my playhouse growing up. :) They make great playhouses!

Katie said...

Happy 8 month anniversary!! Your garden looks fantastic! I'm jealous of all your home-grown goodies.

Laura @Simply Me, The way I see it said...

Well, next time you come to Dallas I may have eggs for you...getting them home is going to be a challenge! LOL Thanks for the well wishes!

Popular Posts