Monday, March 14, 2016

Gluten Free Peanut Butter Real cookies

Gluten Free goodness
Somewhere around the first of the year I decided because of all the tummy troubles I was having that it was time to remove gluten and see if this helped me survive.  So far it has eliminated about 80% of the problems.  I suspect that dairy may also be a problem but I can't think about giving up cheese.   I have switched to almond milk for my smoothies and rarely have anything else so I will suffer the cheese  problems.
They look like real cookies
Alright so that brings me to my problem with figuring out how to cook again without flour and bread crumbs.  Not to mention I have got to find a reasonable gluten free bread because not only am I going to spend $5 for a mini loaf of dry, heavy gluten free bread, but seriously the taste is somewhere between cardboard and crackers on just about every brand I have tried.  The cinnamon raisin bread is good, but that is about it.   Seriously, if you put cinnamon and raisin in saltines, it would probably taste good. 
The brown look like real peanut butter cookies actually.

So I decided it was time to try my hand at a gluten free PB cookie.   I have tried the cookies that have nothing but peanut butter, eggs, and sugar in them and while they actually do taste like cookies, they are way too sweet.   So I added gluten free flower and crossed my fingers. 

The cookies turned out good.  Really good.  My husband and kid devoured them good.    I used coconut flour and almond flour in the batter and the coconut flour gave it a distinct coconut flavor.  If you don't like coconut try rice flour or the flour mix you can find at the store.  

So the recipe?   First let me explain something.  I know you are supposed to cream the butter and sugar and eggs and yada, yada, yada.   I didn't.   I literally threw everything in a bowl and turned on the mixer.  It worked out just fine so you know, if you prefer to do things the right way, cream the butter, sugar, and eggs.  

Gluten free Peanut Butter Real Cookies

1 egg
1 cup Peanut Butter (creamy or crunchy)
1 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Sugar
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tablespoon Vanilla
1/2 cup real butter (soft)
3/4 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup almond flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.   Mix above together and roll into balls.  Flatten with a fork.  Bake for 12 minutes.  Remove and cool.  Enjoy.   

Yields 24 big cookies or 48 small. (I made big ones)

Let me know what you think if you try them.   I am going to make some chocolate chip cookies next.  I am debating on how to make those sugar free as well so stay tuned for my efforts. 


Popular Posts