Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Tuesday Blog Update: Tuesday: Michael Young, Cowboys, and more






I want to say a little about what is going on in DFW sports and that is about all I have.

First, Michael Young:
I listened to his press conference yesterday as I finished up work and my thoughts were this:
-He is incredibly hurt that the Rangers didn't want to keep him and he blames upper management.
-His comments about how when Ian Kinsler went down and Ron Washington had him in the lineup and he went to Wash and told him to let the kid play (meaning Profar) and he would DH just go to show the reason upper management had to trade Michael.  Ron Washington is too dedicated to Young to be objective.  The Rangers need to grow and develope Jurickson Profar who has the potential to be a star and let's face it, was one of the only players that came up big in the one and only playoff game the Rangers played in 2012. 
As a manager I have to walk a fine line between my personal feelings for an employee and what is best for the company.  It is a business but we are also human.  Ron Washington has not been able to master the business side of baseball.  It is hard. I struggle with it.  I am sure it is even more difficult when you travel with a co-worker for 9 months of the year.

I will miss Michael Young.  I am not the biggest Young fan.  I try really hard not to get too attached to players.  They change uniforms.  I learned that with Pudge and I have never gotten overly attached before.  I only buy player T's on sale.  I like some players more than others.  Young could frustrate me to no end and just as I was about to totally give up on him, he would come up with the clutch hit, finally.  That's the way baseball go.




There is a real concern I am picking up on with the Cowboys about this tragedy involving Jerry Brown the player killed on Saturday morning in a drunk driving accident and Josh Brent who is and has been a close friend of Browns and was the driver of the car at the time of the accident.  The concern is rightly placed with Jerry Brown and his family but I get the distinct feeling that there is another concern that a grief stricken Josh Brent may do something to harm himself.  I hope the Cowboys, who are reportedly provinding Brent with counseling and are visably concerned, continue to support both families. 

As someone who sees this on a regular basis I know how many lives are destroyed on both sides.  There is nothing in my job that I deal with that I carry with me more than the fatality claims.  That being said, there but for the grace of God go I. Unless you have never had a drink and gotten behind the wheel,  never driven at the same time that you were crying, never gotten behind the wheel of a car after taking prescription or over the counter medicine, unless you have never driven while on the phone, texting, changing the radio station, or distracted by passengers and unless you have never sped while driving, chances are you have made some really stupid decisions and mistakes.  There but for the GRACE of GOD go all of us.

Finally, I want to ask you all to check out this blog, link up to it if you have a blog of your own, and ask people to send Peyton's family an email.  Cait explains it all in her blog perfectly so I will let her do the talking but this little boy's family could use some holiday cheer.


Cancer suck so hard! Send Peyton an email

1 comment:

Adam Gordon said...

It's only a matter of time (1-2 years) before MY retires. It's only a short period of time after that before he becomes a member of the Texas Rangers HOF. He'll be back in Arlington with some kind of role. I doubt he'll sell his Dallas area home.

Popular Posts