Wednesday, April 6, 2016

E is for Enchilada Lasagna






Enchilada Lasagna

Okay eating does start with an "E" but instead I am going to share with you one of my husband's favorite foods....that I make.   He loves these so much that last weekend while he was out hunting with my brother, he called me to make sure, although I didn't have to, that I was still making these for Sunday dinner.   See Joe's birthday was on the 31st and I had just started my new job.  Aside from being tired from the emotional roller coaster, my new job actually doesn't have me getting off until 6pm which is an hour and a half later than I use to get off.  This means on a good night, I will be home by 6:45.   That's just a tad late for me to cook.  Luckily, hubs had it all figured out and he made dinner for his birthday.

So, what I am saying here is, even if I didn't want to make enchiladas for him, and let me be honest, I like cooking for him.  I would have made these puppies because well, first he loves them and second they are easy.   So Sunday was his birthday dinner complete with cherry pie, his favorite.  It worked out well because we had the kiddo back in time for dinner. 

Alright so about this recipe.  I always use 2 pounds of ground beef or venison depending on what I have on hand.  You can also use ground turkey or ground chicken.   This recipe isn't unique but it is good and the way I make them, I like to think of them as lazy enchiladas but really, it is more like a casserole or lasagna. 


What you need:
Corn tortillas (Approximately 18)
2 pounds ground meat of your choice
1 onion chopped
1 pack taco or enchilada meat seasoning
1 jar of black or pinto beans
1 can of chicken broth
1 can of red enchilada sauce
1 tablespoon corn starch
Fresh Cilantro
1 small jar sliced black olives
2-3 cups sharp cheddar cheese



Directions:

Brown together ground meat, 1 medium onion finally chopped and drain.  Add meat back to pan with taco seasoning and water as per directions on packet.   Drain beans and combine with meat mixture.


In a saucepan combine a can of chicken broth and enchilada sauce with corn starch.   (Add starch slowly stirring constantly to avoid clumps.)  Let cook over medium heat until thick.  Chop cilantro and add about 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro to sauce. 

In a 9x13 baking dish layer the ingredients in the following order:

Sauce, 6 tortillas laid flat, meat and bean mixture, cheese
Repeat
I usually end up with 3-4 layers. 
Top layer should a final layer of tortillas, sauce, and cheese then add more fresh cilantro and the black olives.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until the cheese is melted and lightly bubbly.



Serve with your favorite Tex-Mex sides like sliced avocado, sour cream, chips, salsa, and a margarita.




No comments:

Popular Posts