Monday, April 25, 2016

Verde chicken enchilada casserole




Verde (green) Chicken Enchiladas are my favorite.   They are creamy and cheesy. I don't make them as often as I would like because the kiddo prefers the beef enchiladas. 



I used a lot of creamy salsa verde enchilada sauce in this recipe mixed with chicken broth and corn starch to thicken.  At the end I mix in about a cup of sour cream.  
chop a couple green onions to add to the mix
Brown the chicken.  I made a big batch but you could make half with about 3 chicken breasts.  I used 5 large breasts. 
Brown 5-6 chicken breasts 

Tip: mix your corn stretch in a bowl with a little water to get out clumps before adding to sauces. 


Cook the green sauce and chicken broth on med-low heat to reduce and thicken it with the corn startch mixture.  
broth and verde sauce 

Before adding to your casserole add a cup of sour cream.
add a cup of sour cream at the end 

And some fresh chopped cilantro or parsley.  
and some chopped parley or cilantro

Once you have cooked your chicken thoroughly,  you add 2 containers jalepeño cream cheese.   Again, half this recipe using smaller containers and 3 breasts.  
mix the cream cheese in with the chicken and onions 
I added onion flakes to the chicken.  If my husband wasn't so weird about onions being cooked I would have added fresh because our garden is overflowing with them.


4-5 cups of your favorite cheese
For this recipe I mixed sharp cheddar, mozzarella , and pepper jack cheese.


layer your ingredients 
Time to assemble.  Spray your pan first, lightly coat with sauce, tortillas, more sauce, chicken, cheese, a little bit of fresh onions and then start the process over with more tortillas.   I did 2 thick layers and covered the last with the remaining sauce, cheese, onions and a small can of black olives.


almost done! 

Bake at 350 until your cheese turns golden and good.  

let stand for about 5 minutes to serve 

And enjoy!  These are so good.  I was surprised that my husband actually prefers these to beef.  He and the kid are not huge fans of creamy for example, they don't like Alfredo sauce.  I mean how weird is that?  

YUM!

I topped these with nothing or guacamole, even a little Siracha sauce. 

Top as you like it! 


This is a recipe I just made by trial and error after a coworker brought similar enchiladas to work.  Mine are better but his were good.  :) 

What you need: 

Chicken:

6 chicken breasts cubed.  (You can cook them and pull them if you prefer) 
2 containers jalapeño cream cheese.
Fresh or flakes onions to taste.  About 1 onion.  

Sauce: 

1 large can of green enchilada sauce 
1 can chicken broth
1 tbs corn starch mixed with equal water. 
1 cup sour cream 
A handful of chopped parsley (add before assembling) 

Assembling you will need:
About 24 corn tortillas 
4 cups of cheese.  I used a combo of sharp cheddar, mozerella, and pepper jack.  






No comments:

Popular Posts