Sunday, April 17, 2016

O: Oh the Places You'll Go





This is one of those amazing children's books that I think speaks as much to adults as kids.  Let's be honest, Dr. Seuss was awesome but as a kid, I read Green Eggs and Ham and The Cat in the Hat.  I don't even remember reading this book until I was in my 20's when a guy I knew, an attorney, sent me a copy of the book.   His reasoning?  I needed to read this amazing book that would change my life.   Imagine my surprise when I opened the package to find a copy of Dr. Seuss.

So I read and I cried.  At the time, I was kind of sad and going through something.  To be honest, I don't even know what.  It was during a period when my bulimia was out of control and I was very wrapped up in how I looked at all times so when I got to the part about playing lonely games you can't win because you play against  you....I cried. 

You see, when you are involved in an illness like bulimia, the entire thing is not only lonely but it is truly a game you are playing against yourself.  The mental anguish of not being enough...smart, pretty, thin, it becomes overwhelming.   I wasn't battling anything but my own self and that part of the book, actually the entire book, was so true about life that I was amazed there was a Dr. Seuss book that hits being an adult right on the head of the nail. 

So I buy this book for kids now.  I give it often for birthdays, first, fifth, thirteenth.   It doesn't matter what birthday because every kid can understand and should read this book over and over, especially in the times when they feel just overwhelmed with their trials.   

Just like I can't remember what was so overwhelming in the midst of my illness today, whatever the kids are dealing with will go away.  How else can you move mountains unless you unstick yourself and get on your way?


No comments:

Popular Posts