Monday, March 3, 2014

The blog I debated about writing: Love One Another





I wrote a blog last year about how the movie "42" moved me http://simplymethewayiseeit.blogspot.com/2013/04/42-movie-that-should-change-your-life.html
(For some reason my blogger is acting up so I am just including the address)

I have been thinking a lot about the battle Jackie Robinson fought in relation to the current sports revelation that a player in the NFL draft is gay and the first known gay player just started playing in the NBA.   The arguments I have seen for why you just can't have gay players in a locker room are so much like the arguments that Jackie Robinson faced when he was called up to the major leagues.  

"They aren't like us."
"They will be a distraction"
"It goes against the natural laws"
"This is not what God intended"
"They can't shower together."

The things that are said are so silly, really.  We are talking about athletes who have lived their whole lives showering with other men.    They have worked as part of a team their whole lives and their personal choices off the field have nothing to do with their ability to play a team sport. 

People seem to hide behind religion as the reason for their disapproval or down right bigotry.   This makes me sad for so many reasons.   First is that some of the best people I have ever met are homosexual.  Next is that religion is not a matter of faith.  God didn't create religion.  He simply asked us to be faithful.  God didn't tell us to hate each other.  In fact, Jesus Himself told us to love one another and to let those without sin cast the first stone. 

Now, I don't know about  you but anyone wanting to quote certain scripture to the exclusion of the Book in full seems to be completely missing the point of Jesus coming to save us ALL from our sin.   I don't pretend to understand everything there is to know about religion and I am a huge believer in each and every person's right to believe as they see fit because, really, that is between them and God.  Guess what, so is sin.  It isn't up to me to judge which sins are unforgivable and which aren't.   It isn't up to me to question God.  It also isn't up to me to question God's children.  

I am a sinner.  I have faults.  I don't live every moment of my life as God asks me.   I do try to live my life with love.  I try to find the little bit of God in all of us.   God created me to be redheaded with hazel eyes and He chose for me to bare the burden of an eating disorder, quick temper, and stubbornness.   He made me and I am a perfect creation of Him.   God made homosexuals too.  They are a perfect creation of Him.  He loves us all.  He does not call us to love perfect people.  He calls us simply to love one another, as He has loved us, the way Jesus commanded. 

Love is too hard to find in this day and age for any of us to sit back and cast judgment upon other children of God.   Personally, I don't want to have to explain to anyone what I do in the privacy of my home and I don't think it is up to anyone to have to explain it. 

Now, you may think, why would she debate about writing this blog?   There are a few reasons, first is that I try to stay away from political blogs. (I know, you can't tell that by some of my recent posts.)  Next, is that I have strong beliefs and a strong faith and I do not want to start a holy war because of my beliefs.   Finally, until everyone does everything the Bible says, EVERYTHING, I think we should all just relax a little and try the love thing.  There is way too much to love to go around and this world is lacking in it, most of the time, to get wrapped up in who we love.

-Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Micah said...

Agree. So much. We are all sinners, but our God is a loving God. Why would he want us to hate anyone? He created them!

Laura @Simply Me, The way I see it said...

Exactly Micah! I am so glad you understand!

Popular Posts