10. The day I bought my house. It was Feb. 1999. Buying a house as a single person before I turned 30 was a major life event! I intended this house to be a 5 year home but my life didn't take the turns I thought it would.
9. The day I started working for GEICO. Who knew I was going to make auto insurance a career? I remember when I went to orientation the AVP saying "Nobody grows up saying 'I want to be in Insurance'. You can only have so many astronauts & firemen." (Ah, firemen!)
8.& 7. The day my nephew was born & the day my triplet nieces were born. Both days are equal. Love those kids. They changed the world for most of us.
6. The day we moved to Texas. Indiana will always be my home but Texas has been good to me, mostly.
5. The day I decided to go to The University of Texas. I'm not sure it was the best choice for me but I made some awesome friends and UT will always be in my top 2 Universities. The heart loves who the heart loves and I love Texas & Notre Dame.
4. The day my dad was diagnosed with non-hodgkins Lymphoma.
3. The day the surgery to remove my dad's cancer was unsuccessful.
2. The last time I saw my dad. I asked for his cherry jello & asked him why his cheeks were black. (Chemo). I had no idea it would be the last time. I was only 5 and by that time, we had spent months out of three years at the hospital.
1. The day I lost my father. I can't stress this enough. It has shaped every part of my life, for better or worse. I don't think it is surprising that I am still single or deep down, that I am probably more than a little afraid of loving a man. It has taken the adult me years to calm that devastated little girl who lost the first man she ever loved and turned him into a hero that no other man could live up to.
Hopefully, that is the last time in this or any challenge that I have to touch on 1-4. I will always have a special place for my memories and my past but I have turned my attention to the present and future and that is my focus.
Natalie Grant has a song called Live For Today. That is kind of my plan. Here is the chorus:
I'm gonna live for today
I'm gonna follow in your way
I'm gonna let my little light shine
Like there's no tomorrow
I won't worry about the past
I know my future is intact
So I'll choose to live my life one way
I'm gonna live it for today
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad all rights reserved